I write under the pen name of V. Anne Arden. I now have my own
Author's Website, with more about my writing
Here are my published works:
- The Prize
- A gladiatorial fantasy in Lorelei Signal.
- The Ancient Race of the Next Age
- A science fiction poem in Volume 10, Issue #2 of Aoife's Kiss.
- The Clever Mongoose
- A fable in Volume 3, Issue #1 of Bards and Sages Quarterly.
- A coming-of-age fantasy in Issue #9 of Forgotten Worlds
- My first sale was a short-short which appeared in issue #14 of Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet.
- But I don't know how to critique!
- See my very first published piece in Vision: A Resource for Writers. It's in a non-paying ezine (although now they pay 0.25 cents/word, but not when I got published), and isn't fiction, but hey, it was a start!
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America:
- Professional society for writers, lot of good information about writing itself, and writing as a business.
- Forward Motion:
- Has grown enormously since its initiation as Holly Lisle's writing site in 1999;
now run by another, it contains an active community has evolved where members
workshop stories for critique and participate in writing exercises,
classes, and games, among other things.
If you're looking for support, encouragement, and advice about writing,
this is definitely a place to check out.
- Absolute Write:
- Another very useful writing community, which I only more recently discovered.
Has a forum section where writers discuss the craft and critique each other's work.
- Writer's Write:
- Big site, with lots of articles and info.
- My new favorite: easily searchable, covering many genres and mainstream, and poetry.
- Submitting to the Black Hole:
- A site where people report response times for various publishers and magazines. I always check out the Black Hole listing before submitting to a market that's new to me. They are also starting to add some guideline info.
- SFWA's Qualifying Markets:
- List of markets that will qualify as "professional sale" for SFWA.
- Ralan Conley's Webstravaganza:
- More market listings, along with other stuff. Most uniquely, he's got a chart with data on response times to his submissions. Also pretty up to date.
- The Market List:
- Fairly large list, although it seems to lag on the updating.
- Mary Soon Lee's Speculative Fiction Markets
- Short story author Mary Soon Lee has a compilation of science fiction and fantasy markets, similar in scope to the Aerie's list, but covering some different magazines.
- Open Directory Science Fiction Magazines
- Open Directory Fantasy Magazines
- Open Directory Horror Magaziens
- Listing of print and electronic magazines at the open source web curation project Open Directory.
- The Aerie's Own Speculative Fiction Markets
- This is my own compilation and is nowhere near as complete as the previous listings.
Basically, it is a way of organizing my bookmarks; but if you want to take a look, feel free.
Warning, this page has a lot of links. It may take some time to load! (this may be an out-of date warning in
the age of broad band, but if you're on dial-up, it may be an issue)